After the long, dark days of winter, the warm evenings and brightly colored flowers of spring often can’t come quickly enough – and we’re not the only ones who look forward to this time of year.
Spring also means our cats can get outside, bask in the sun and explore our gardens and beyond.
However, with the sun and the flowers comes a few extra risks for your cat. Petplan takes a look at some of the additional issues your cat may face during the spring months…
Poisonous plants and flowers are in bloomAs we mentioned in a previous blog post - keeping your cat safe in your garden, certain flowers, shrubs, wild plants and mushrooms can be extremely dangerous for your cat.
Species of poisonous plants that are common during the springtime include:
Beware too of snail and slug pellets, as they have a toxic compound in the pellet that can cause poisoning.
If you do happen to notice any signs of poisoning – such as vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, disorientation or even collapsing – then contact your vet immediately.
Cats can suffer from allergies tooJust like people, cats can also develop allergies to plants, grass, pollens and other substances during springtime – and the symptoms can often be very similar to people. These include:
Fleas and ticks are more common in warmer weatherAlong with sunshine, spring brings about many pesky little creatures. Thankfully, there are some simple steps you can take to limit the chances of your pet getting fleas and ticks:
Things to be wary of at Easter time
Easter is often a fun family time, with weekend’s consisting of Easter egg hunts and hot cross buns.
But have you ever considered how for cats, eating the leftover chocolate on the grass can be dangerous? Chocolate poisoning causes lots of pet emergencies every year, especially around Easter time.
Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine which can be deadly to cats (and dogs) because unlike us, they can’t metabolise theobromine effectively. Different types of chocolate has varying levels of theobromine, with dark chocolate containing more than milk chocolate.
The most common symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, urinating more, an irregular heartbeat, tremors and fitting. A large dose of chocolate can induce a coma or death. Symptoms can occur within a few hours up to a day after ingestion. Contact your vet immediately if you think your cat has ingested chocolate.
Another factor to consider are cats and insects. Cats often enjoy chasing after wasps and bees, and in the process can be stung.
In most cases these are not emergencies, however, if your cat is stung near the mouth or neck, then you may need to contact your vet. Cats, like humans, can be allergic to stings. If this is the case, you may notice swellings, distress and breathing difficulties.
If the sting is not too serious, you can treat it yourself.
With a bee sting, remove the sting if it’s still in place and clean the area with a little bicarbonate of soda. For a wasp sting, gently clean the area with lemon juice or malt vinegar.